“An epic surf charter with the chilled vibe of a wellness retreat.”
About Santana Laut
Let’s face it surf charters in the Mentawai are pretty predictable affairs. They do what they say on the tin, which is normally … boat, surf, eat, Bintang, sleep, repeat. Not much room for creativity huh? Well not according to the crew behind the Santana Laut, who are adding some fresh ingredients (literally) to the Mentawai surf charter game.
Backed by a dedicated and experienced crew, sisters Maira and Barbara Roquette host the charters aboard the stylishly converted fishing trawler Santana Laut. Their aim? To deliver everything you’ve come to expect from a killer surf charter, but add something a little more “boutique” for their guests.
This is achieved through a host of touches employed by the sisters that may simply be overlooked by your stereotypical grizzled sea-captain. From little things like keeping the boat in pristine condition, beds featuring luxurious cottons and linen, to post-surf coconut moisturizer and aloe aftersun. It’s simple attention to detail.
But it’s in the culinary realm where the sisters’ influence really shines. They are passionate about health and this is reflected in the amazing food served on board. They are intent on creating the first truly healthy, organic charter in the Mentawai.
A range of detox juices can be enjoyed by guests throughout the day. Meals are prepared using coconut oil. All bread is made fresh on the boat. Almond milk is available for cereals, tea and coffee. And the sisters’ specialty is homemade Acai using locally sourced dragonfruit.
And it just keeps getting better. For main meals you’ll be feasting on grilled fish with white quinoa, pumpkin, zucchini, onions and garlic. Rice paper rolls with prawns, chilli, cabbage, carrot, coriander, tofu and vermicelli noodles with, boc choy, garlic, and a tamarin sauce. Roasted lamb leg with feta cheese and mint, sweet potato, quinoa, and pumpkin. Chili- dusted prawns tacos, with coriander mango salsa.
You’re there for the waves of your life right? Fuel your body right, and you’ll be pushing yourself over the ledge into glory rather than floundering in the lip.
|12 Night Trip||Max Guests||Prices from AUD||Book|
|Whole Boat||12||$42,000||Enquire now|
|Single Spot||12||$4,200||Enquire now|
Santana Laut Inclusions
- Transfers to and from Padang airport
- 12 Nights onboard the boat
- Surf guide
- Use of tender for fishing and exploratory trips ashore
- Use of fishing and snorkling equipment
- Three gourmet meals per day
- Snacks and fruit
- Non-alcoholic refreshments such as bottled water, hot drinks soft drinks and juices
- All beer
- Use of onboard entertainment systems including DVD video and stereo
- Use of all onboard equipment and amenities.
*Note: The standard itinerary is the Mentawai Islands chain. For Telos and North Sumatra itineraries a fuel surcharge will be levied to the trip.*
Santana Laut Exclusions
- Fuel Surcharge (if applicable)
- Other Indonesian Taxes which may be levied
- Compulsory Travel Insurance
- Alcoholic Drinks other than Bintang described above. (Passengers are welcome to stock up on beer at local prices prior to departure). Indonesian customs allows the importation of only a single bottle of alcohol per person.
- Tips for the crew. Tips typically start around AUD $5 per day and up. If you’ve had a really good time and the crew’s been outstanding, let them know! Please give all tips to the captain for dispersal to the crew.
While the service onboard Santana Laut might be a little different to your stereotypical surf charter. One thing that isn’t gonna change is what’s waiting for you in the surf. This is the Mentawai – Surfing’s Disneyland.
A charter on board Santana Laut can deliver you straight into the lineup of every dream wave in the chain, including Macaronis with its playful mechanical perfection, the heart stopping gauntlet-run of Greenbush, The ridiculous perfection of HT’s and the almighty right-left combo of Rifles and Nokandui to name a few.
Santana Laut also has some awesome guides in their arsenal including legendary Australian veteran Doris Eltherington, and South African Shayne Whitfield. These guys have worked with some of the biggest names in the biz when they’re on the hunt for perfection including Jordy Smith and Stab Magazine for their recent Stab In The Dark trip, so you know they’re gonna deliver for you.
Santana Laut also offers guests the opportunity to break free of the immediate Mentawai area and head further afield in search of uncrowded perfection, this includes:
This compact group of a hundred or so islands sits to the north of the Mentawai and packs a whole lot of perfection into its small area. The Telos are a great option for outrunning the crowds of the south or for those guests seeking something slightly mellower than the Mentawai. It’s also one of the most beautiful tropical paradises you can picture.
The surf in the Telos is perhaps a smidge more fickle than the Mentawai, but usually offers ultra-consistent 3-5-foot waves. The variety of options also ensures guests of all abilities will have a ball.
Located roughly 50 kilometres from mainland Aceh Sumatra, The Banyaks are still somewhat of an enigma for most surfers. We’ve all heard of them, but what are they actually like? While again, it may be slightly more fickle than the islands to the south, the quality on offer is well worth the trip, especially if the captain gets word legendary right Treasure Island is going to be good.
This 21-metre ex-trawler was converted to a premium surf charter boat in 2015, so all amenities are clean, modern and comfortable.
Guest accommodation on the Santana Laut is split over three decks.
The main deck offers one two-bed cabin with its own private ensuite. This deck also contains the three main guest bathrooms, of which there are three.
The upper deck boasts the master suite, which features one double bed, a single bed and its own private ensuite.
The lower deck features one cabin with four single beds, two cabins with two single beds, and two cabins with double beds.
There is also a large shaded outdoor area on deck. The perfect place to gather around the communal table to enjoy the delicious food, talk story or simply chill out and take in the surrounds.
Santana Laut also offers guests a photography and video service so they can remember the trip of their lives forever. This can be organised upon on request for all trips according to availability. A three-week advance booking is required.
- 1 x 2 bed with unsuit
- 3 bathrooms
- 1 x master bed
- 1 double
- 1 single
- 1 unsuite
- 1 x 4 bed cabin
- 2 x 2 bed cabin
- 2 x 1 double cabin
- Builder: Australian Shipbuilding Industries, Fremantle, W.A. Survey: Western Australian Department of Transport (2008) BKI indonesia (2009/2011/2012)
- Converted in: 2015
- Length: 21.38 meters
- Breadth 7.44 meters
- Depth: 3.98 meters
- Draft: 3.00 meters
- Class: USL 1B – 30 passengers included crew
- GRT: 223.18
- Main engine type: Scania
- Reduction Gearbox Type: Twin Disc
- Manufacturer: Twin Disc
- Model: MG516
- Ratio: 6:1
- Auxiliary 1: 1 x Perkins 4236 with 45 KWA (WEG)
- Auxiliary 2: 1 x Hino EH700, 85 KWA
- Auxiliary 3: 1 x Yanmar 12 KWA
- Auxilliary 4: 1x Isuzu/Stanford 25 KVA (new 2012)
- Propeller: 3 Blade in Nozzle
- Refrigeration Plant: 1 X 415V Sealed unit
- Air Compressors: 1 X COLTRI MH/16 265 ltr/hr (new 2009)
- Desalination: 1 x Aqua pure desalt unit. Upgraded to 3 membranes with pre filter approximately 9.000 liters/day.
- Exhaust:Dry to atmospheres
- Alarms: Fully alarmed machinery, engine room bilge and fire alarm system. Daly watch guard in wheelhouse.
As previously mentioned, the culinary experience onboard the Santana Laut is what sets it apart. The food you’ll feast on will be all the fuel you need to have the surf trip of a lifetime. And the best part is that every single dish is delicious and healthy!
For breakfast you’ll be indulging in dishes such as:
- Eggs on toast with freshly baked bread (including gluten free) spinach, avocado and bacon.
- Breakfast tacos with black beans, egg, tomato salsa, avocado and cheese.
- Tapioca Crepes
- Buckwheat pancakes with fruit of the day and agave syrup
- Dragon fruit bowl with banana, coconut water, granola, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, shredded coconut
- Gluten free banana bread
It just gets better for lunch:
- Veggie beetroot burger with chilli chutney
- Lentil salad with veggie pattie, lentils, brown rice, tomato, carrot and parsley
- Rice paper rolls with prawns chilli, cabbage, carrot, coriander, tofu and vermicelli noodles wrapped in steamed rice paper, with garlic tamarin sauce
- Chicken burrito with tomato salsa (gluten free available) with beans, tomato salsa, corn, guacamole and coriander
- Broccoli pesto pasta with roast chicken (gluten free available)
- Steak sandwich on home made bread with roast tomato, caramelised onions, sauerkraut and served with baked sweet potato chips (gluten free and vegetarian available)
- Squid soft tacos with mango salsa, chilli sauce, mango, tomato, onion, lettuce, cabbage and coriander.
Don’t even get us started on some of the dinner dishes:
- Brown rice and chickpea salad with lemon chicken, turmeric, broccoli, onion, garlic and lemon sauce.
- Mexican style baked sweet potato with tomato, capsicum, onions, chilli, guacamole, lemon and beef skewers.
- Veggie green curry with black rice and tofu salad
- Steak with sweet potato salad, broccoli, spinach, walnuts, egg salad with mustard sauce
- Roast chicken green salsa with couscous and roast veggies
- Grilled fish and quinoa salad with pumpkin, zucchini, onionsand garlic
- Yellow dal with turmeric cauliflower rice with roasted veggies and chicken skewers
- Leg of lamb with quinoa salad, sweet potato, pumpkin, feta and mint
- Baked fish brown rice saffron risotto with tomato, olives, onions, green beans and parsley
- Vegan rice bowl with onions, ginger, coconut oil, carrots, corn, pumpkin, brown rice, sesame seeds, chia seed and tempeh
- Thai-style fish steak with asian greens, coconut cream, chilli, garlic, onion and gingr
Throughout your charter there are also complimentary cold pressed juices, smoothies, cocktails and beer available.
When you’re not busy getting tubed in a ridiculously tropical locale there are a range of activities on Santana Laut that you can get involved in.
Keeping on the health theme, there are TRX straps, kettlebells, yoga mats, swiss balls, medicine balls and foam rollers available for guests to utilise.
The sisters are also working on integrating yoga lessons into the charter’s itinerary.
More traditional activities available to guests include: stand up paddle boarding, snorkeling, fishing, tin boat tours, beach days, swimming, village tours and of course the ever popular diving and jumping competitions from the boat.
If you’re feeling a little fried you can always chill inside in the air conditioning, enjoying board games, cards or watching movies.
Surfers travelling to the Mentawai Islands will always fly in via Minangkabau International Airport in Padang.
Upon arrival you will be met by a representative who will assist you, before transporting you either to a hotel or the harbor to await the commencement of your charter.
For more information please speak to a Soul Surf Travel representative.
#NOTE – Sanatana Laut allows 12 guests maximum per trip to keep crowds down.
– Whole charter price =$42,000 AUD for up to 12 guests
– Single bookings are subject to availability and cost $4500 AUD per person.
|Jan 14||Jan 26||12||Enquire now|
|Jan 29||Feb 10||12||Enquire now|
|Feb 13||Feb 25||12||Enquire now|
|Feb 28||Mar 12||12||Enquire now|
|Mar 12||Mar 24||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Mar 29||Apr 10||12||Enquire now|
|Apr 12||Apr 24||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Apr 29||May 11||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|May 14||May 26||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|May 28||Jun 10||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Jun 12||Jun 25||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Jul 01||Jul 13||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Jul 17||Jul 29||12||Enquire now|
|Jul 31||Aug 12||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Aug 15||Aug 27||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Aug 30||Sep 14||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Sep 15||Sep 27||12||Enquire now|
|Sep 29||Oct 11||12||Enquire now|
|Oct 15||Oct 27||BOOKED||BOOKED|
|Oct 29||Nov 11||12||Enquire now|
|Nov 13||Nov 25||12||Enquire now|
|Nov 29||Dec 10||12||Enquire now|