Touma Cameron is a talented and typically frothing young surfer who lives on the East Coast of Australia. In March, at the ripe old age of 14, he was lucky enough to venture to the Mentawais on his first surf charter, the MV Addiction.
Along with his younger brother Marki and some of his best buddies they set sail on the surf adventure of a lifetime living every grommets dream. “This was the best trip of my life. Everywhere we went the waves were so fun. Best boat in the Ments and best service ever from the MV Addiction boat crew and Soul Surf Travel.” Said Marki Cameron.
Still buzzing from the trip Touma decided to put together his top tips for any grommet aspiring to hit the Mentawais. Plenty of words of wisdom.
Touma getting slotted
- Start every day with a can of Sprite and get out before all your mates and score the first wave.
- Get a boat with lots of space so you can get away from all the dads and chill with your mates.
- Play nice in the line up and you might get a photo from one of the other boats.
- Pick a hard working skipper like Jody Perry on The Addiction who will find you the best waves and give you the best advice on how to surf them.
- Ride your 5’ 4” step up to make life easier when it’s solid.
- Work your way up the order, be patient and wait for the best wave in the best spot. Fully commit and the pack will let you go.
- Enjoy the bottom turn. So much power in the Ments.
- Watch out for the lip.
- Go the casual stance when everyone is watching.
- Pack light and don’t use all your clean clothes in the first week.
- When you cut yourself start with fresh water, lime, water again then betadine. The lime stings like hell but it works.
- Make sure you go ashore and meet the locals. Also a good opportunity to stock up on Sprite and snickers.
No doubt this will be the first of many adventures for the boys.
The boys: Mentawai veterans already: Matthew, Sam, Jake, Hugo, Touma and Marki
If you are looking for a surf charter suitable for a Father and son or Dads and daughter trip then you cannot go past the Addiction. Just ask Marki and Touma. Enquire with one of the surf travel experts at Soul Surf Travel or Check out the MV Addiction here.
You can see a full gallery of photos from the boys trip here.